Taco Pie is a recipe staple in this household as a go-to meal for The Herron Nest. Oddly enough, I did a post about this recipe back in April of 2010 (pre-kids) and have since updated the recipe. Another “oddly enough” is that I’ve had multiple request for this recipe to be shared so I’m finally pulling my Taco Pie recipe in one easy-to-reach place. Little warning, I don’t have cute Pinterest pictures to go with this post – just this text from another family raving about this yummy Taco Pie.
The Famous Taco Pie (Thanks to my mom for this one)
- 1 lb ground turkey (or lean ground beef – chef’s choice)
- 1 packet of Kroger brand low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 package of Kroger brand reduced fat crescent roll
- Approx. 1 cup of Kroger brand reduced fat sour cream
- Approx. 1-1/2 cups of Kroger brand Mexican style cheese
- Approx. 1/2 cup crushed tortillas (I save them from the bottoms of tortilla chips bags or left over tortilla chips)
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in 1/2
- 1 avocado
- 1 pie plate
Crank up the oven to 350 degrees to preheat while you are browning your meat. Once meat is browned add the packet of seasoning and black beans (rinsed/drained) and let simmer. Press your crescent roll into your pie plate covering the plate in full. Add a bottom layer of crunched up tortilla chips to the bottom of the pie dish then go ahead and pour your meat mixture on top. Once your meat mixture is in the pie, spread your sour cream to cover the meat mixture then top it off with tomatoes and cheese. Let it cook for about 25 minutes until cheese starts to brown! Then serve with a few slices of avocado garnished on the top – this is my newest favoritest addition to the recipe.
For those wondering – NO, Mr. Herron does NOT eat this version of the pie. His version does not include the tomatoes nor the avocado.